My Sixth Net Worth Overshare

Yesterday evening, I was blindsided with a crippling migraine.

I had planned on spending the evening strolling to a neighborhood restaurant to celebrate my sweet boyfriend's birthday, but my body had other ideas. He brought me some Tylenol, a bottle of water, and ordered take out.

Instead of celebratory patio drinks, I was in bed, desperately trying to block out the slowly fading light and echos of hungry meows from the kitchen.

I finally woke back up around 10 and caught a few minutes of True Detective while eating leftover Thai fresh rolls.

Sometimes life's unplanned obstacles derail your plans. No matter how far in advance you prepare. That's why personal finance matters.

It's hard to predict when curveballs will arrive, so it's important to know where you stand financially. A net worth is a bird's-eye view of how you're doing.

One Year of Quarterly Net Worth Updates

Income

In May, I left my part-time job to free up time for blogging and freelance writing. I've managed to replace a healthy portion of my previous earnings on a much more flexible schedule. A small raise at my day job has also provided a nice boost.

Expenses

I've reduced two of my monthly expenses over the past month:

Mortgage – $1,405.75 to $1,358.36 (removed private mortgage insurance)
Gym membership – $37.80 to $29.00 (discount through health insurance)

My next goal? Shop for a better home owner's insurance and car insurance deal.

Cash

We're planning on some home renovation projects later this year, so I've been slowly building up my cash. I'm keeping my cash in a high-interest online savings account until I need it.

Investments

Recently, I started using Personal Capital to monitor my net worth. And I love seeing all my accounts in one place! Plus, it's great to see a clear breakdown of how much I'm paying in investment fees.

Note: If you sign up for a free account through my affiliate link above, I may receive a small bonus. And your support helps keep Cashville Skyline running. So, thank you!

Home Value

My neighborhood continues to see unprecedented growth.

As new residents flock to Nashville, inner city neighborhoods are experiencing extreme inventory shortages. Affordable homes are regularly selling for over asking prices.

According to Zillow, my home's value has increased by almost $18,000 over the past year. Given the high volume of weekly letters we receive from developers, I think I could sell my home for somewhere closer to the $250,000 range.

Looking Back

This time last year I was preparing to leave my job and saving every penny I could get my hands on. And my part-time job from August – December 2014 helped keep the majority of my savings in tact.

Overall, I'm very pleased with my $38,000+ net worth increase over the past twelve months.

Readers: How has the first half of 2015 been for your finances?

• Retire29 June 30, 2015 on 11:33 am

Awesome to see >10% net worth gains over just two months, especially with a flat market–even if over half of that is attributable to your home equity.

Why no 401(k) contributions?

• Kate Dore Retire29 July 1, 2015 on 7:47 am

Thanks for commenting, Retire29! I haven’t had access for a 401(k) for the majority of my career. My very first job had one, but I was only there for six months.

• Debt Hater June 30, 2015 on 1:32 pm

You’ve made some great gains in 2015 so far. And being able to replace your income but on a flexible schedule is a plus too. Seems like Nashville is the place to be too!

• Kate Dore Debt Hater July 1, 2015 on 7:49 am

Thanks, Debt Hater! I’m really lucky I was able to purchase a home in my neighborhood while it was still affordable. Finding something decent under $200K is incredibly difficult now.

• Income Surfer June 30, 2015 on 4:53 pm

Great progress Kate. Glad the freelancing and blogging are working out so well for you! Look how far you’ve come over the past year

• Kate Dore Income Surfer July 1, 2015 on 7:49 am

Thanks so much, Bryan! It’s been quite the journey 🙂

• Michelle July 1, 2015 on 11:05 am

Great job on the net worth increase. 2015 has been good for us. Hoping that continues through the rest of the year!

• Kate Dore Michelle July 2, 2015 on 8:01 am

Thanks, Michelle! Cheers to a prosperous second half of 2015 for us all 🙂

• Shannon @ Financially Blonde July 1, 2015 on 1:14 pm

Great job Kate!! I can’t believe it’s been a year since you left your job, it feels like yesterday that you made the announcement. Time flies!!

• Kate Dore Shannon @ Financially Blonde July 2, 2015 on 8:02 am

Aw, thanks so much for your continued encouragement. I’m definitely planning to add some bonds to my portfolio thanks to your podcast 🙂

• Dane Hinson July 2, 2015 on 10:08 am

Looks like you’ve built some great net worth. Continue adding to those investment accounts and the power of compound returns will undoubtedly get you to your goals. Best of luck!

• Kate Dore Dane Hinson July 5, 2015 on 12:06 pm

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Dane!

• Our Next Life July 2, 2015 on 3:13 pm

Nice work! Pretty impressive gains given that you mostly haven’t been working full-time. We’re happy with our gains this year, but when there is a market bobble right at the end of the month, like there was at the end of June, it makes our spreadsheets make the sad trombone sound. 🙂

• Kate Dore Our Next Life July 5, 2015 on 12:09 pm

Thanks for commenting! I started working full-time again in January, so I’ve been working full-time again for about six months. Market instability can definitely be nerve-wracking! I’m looking forward to having some cheaper options to invest in, though.

• Tre July 5, 2015 on 6:54 am

That’s a pretty impressive increase over 12 months. Congrats.

• Kate Dore Tre July 5, 2015 on 12:10 pm

Thanks so much, Tre! Here’s to a prosperous next twelve months for both of us 🙂

• The Net Worth of Personal Finance Bloggers July 6, 2015 on 4:20 pm

[…] Cashville Skyline @ $181,503 […]

• Money Making July 10, 2015 on 10:02 am

Nice work on making your savings grow ~$40K over the past year! That takes a lot of dedication and planning to make that happen. Congrats!