My Third Net Worth Overshare

Fall has quietly sailed into Nashville, unloading crisp cooler nights, and reminding us that winter is on the horizon. For now, I'd rather enjoy the smell of campfires and pie spices, the sounds of crispy leaves beneath my boots on the neighborhood sidewalks, and the transition back to hot coffee mornings. Mmmmm, fall.

This quarter's update doesn't pack the impressive punch of quarter two, but I'm still pleased to see an increase, despite a significant drop in income over the past two months.

Speaking of gratitude, I'm starting a free weekly mindfulness and meditation class through work this week. Just another reason why my new part-time gig rocks.

Ready for the numbers? Behold:

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 5.47.19 AM

Notes:

– As I've mentioned, I'm working off my bare bones budget during this life transition, and my main priority is protecting my assets. I haven't sold any stocks, but most of my cash has been depleted.

– Despite my lack of saving, I've been pleased to see that my portfolio is continuing to work for me. It's an important reminder about why saving and investing matters.

– One of my big financial to-dos is to open a health savings account (HSA) to supplement my new high deductible health plan (HDHP). Several personal finance bloggers have suggested HSA Administrators because of their selection of 22 Vanguard funds. Have an option? Let's hear it.

– I also have access to a Fidelity 401(k) now. Since I've already maxed out my Roth IRA for 2014, I may consider using this to lower my taxable income once my income and expenses are under control.

Readers: How has your net worth changed over the third quarter of 2014? What are your net worth goals for the final quarter of the year?

Enjoying what you’ve read? Stay on top of my latest posts by following Cashville Skyline on Facebook, twitter, Google+, and Pinterest!

• Jay @ Thinking Wealthy September 30, 2014 on 7:09 am

Nice bump in the house! How accurate do you think it is? Zillow can go crazy sometimes.

Jay

• Kate Dore Jay @ Thinking Wealthy October 5, 2014 on 11:03 am

Great question, Jay! Our neighborhood has really exploded over the past couple of years, similar to the other inner city Nashville neighborhoods. I’m really grateful that I was able to snag a house when I did.

• Dee @ Color Me Frugal September 30, 2014 on 7:25 am

Nice! It’s always great to see those numbers go up, especially during quarters when it feels like you lost ground. We always run our numbers on the first day of the quarter, so that’s on tomorrow’s agenda. We are also expecting less-than-spectacular numbers because we had a lot of expenses with our adoption this quarter and I stopped working to be a stay at home mommy. But the great part, as you mentioned, is that once you get some assets under your belt they will keep working for you even when you aren’t! Best of luck on your 2014 goal of $150k!! You’re pretty close now 🙂

• Kate Dore Dee @ Color Me Frugal October 5, 2014 on 11:05 am

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Dee! The dividend payouts (even if they are small) have been a constant reminder to keep accomulating assets. Best of luck on a solid 4th quarter!

• Camille @ Challenge Mantra September 30, 2014 on 7:40 am

My net worth goals are still in flux for this last quarter… I just volunteered for my company layoff, so I’m going through mixed emotions about whether to divert extra income to my husband’s 401(k) to protect it, or let it go to my savings account in case I need it.

• Kate Dore Camille @ Challenge Mantra October 5, 2014 on 11:06 am

It’s great that you’re thinking like that, Camille. I’m sending positive thoughts your way for an even better next job!

• Kassandra September 30, 2014 on 7:59 am

I’ll run the numbers tomorrow and log our business expenses tonight but based on current numbers it’s looking good. Saving and investing are really the pillars to helping us get to where we want to be financially in life. Of course keeping our expenses low helps but that only goes so far. It sounds like you’re still enjoying the part-time work.

• Kate Dore Kassandra October 5, 2014 on 11:08 am

You’re totally right, Kassandra! That’s one of the things I have struggled with. Living frugally does only go so far. At a certain point you need to start earning more if you want to make some real headway. Congrats on a great Q3!

• Robin @ The Thrifty Peach September 30, 2014 on 8:25 am

You are definitely on you our way to your goal! I think it’s brave that you post this. I haven’t gotten the courage yet!

• Kate Dore Robin @ The Thrifty Peach October 5, 2014 on 11:08 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Robin! I was feeling a bit self-conscious about my recent drop in cash.

• Erin @ Journey to Saving September 30, 2014 on 9:05 am

It’s awesome to know that your money is still working for you in the background, even though you’re depleting your cash reserves. I have to imagine it’s a little comforting knowing you have those assets!

• Kate Dore Erin @ Journey to Saving October 5, 2014 on 11:11 am

Thanks, Erin! It’s been really motivating to earn more money soon so I can continue adding to my income producing assets.

• Bridget September 30, 2014 on 9:47 am

Nice work!! My Q3 hasn’t been too bad… buoyed up because I got an MBA internship and while not glamorous pay, was more than I was making sitting around doing nothing.

Market is down right now which is hurting some of the numbers I was hoping for, but maybe it will finish strong for the end of the year.

Great job — that house value increase was a great bump, you’re so close to your goal!!

• Kate Dore Bridget October 5, 2014 on 11:12 am

A paid internship sounds amazing to me! That’s definitely not something that ever happens in the entertainment industry. Haha. I’m crossing my fingers for a strong finish to the year for all of us!

• Wade September 30, 2014 on 9:58 am

Thanks for the update. I would be worried with $4.89 in cash. Your emergency fund must be in your Roth dollars.

I tend to have too much cash and emergency fund dollars around.

Hopefully you can build your cash back up without having to tap into your tax-sheltered dollars.

• Kate Dore Wade October 5, 2014 on 11:14 am

I moved most of my cash into my taxable investment account this year. I’ll sell off some assets if I have to, but I’m trying hard to protect that. Agreed that $4.89 in cash isn’t ideal.

• Zee @ Work-To-Not-Work September 30, 2014 on 10:31 am

My net worth has slightly gone up for the quarter, not as much as I would have liked but for me part of that was planning and paying for flights for an upcoming vacation.

But I agree that it’s all about having investments that keep working for you while you just have to sit back and enjoy.

• Kate Dore Zee @ Work-To-Not-Work October 5, 2014 on 11:17 am

A slight increase is better than the other direction, right? I’ve been trying to remind myself of that. Have an amazing time on your upcoming vacation!

• Mrs. Frugalwoods September 30, 2014 on 8:49 pm

That’s great that your house bumped up–nice! Mr. FW and I both have Fidelity 401k’s, which we’ve been very happy with.

• Kate Dore Mrs. Frugalwoods October 5, 2014 on 11:18 am

It’s definitely encouraging to see the home value increase! Unfortunately, I’ve been without a 401k for years! It will be nice once I have some free cash again.

• Dividend Mantra October 1, 2014 on 12:21 am

Kate,

You’re having a great 2014 for your net worth.

That’s pretty crazy there with the Zillow value. A $43,000 increase in three months? Either that’s incorrect or your local market is off the chain. I hope it’s the latter. 🙂

Keep up the great work.

Cheers!

• Kate Dore Dividend Mantra October 5, 2014 on 11:19 am

Thanks for the encouragement, Jason! The house has really helped. I was really lucky to purchase my home 5.5 years ago. It was right before my inner city Nashville neighborhood started blowing up! I’m going to keep holding onto it for now.

• Holly@ClubThrifty October 1, 2014 on 7:28 am

I use HSA administrators for my HSA. I did a lot of research and found that HSA administrators has the lowest admin fee and the best places to invest. My HSA is split over 3 Vanguard funds. I would highly recommend it.

• Kate Dore Holly@ClubThrifty October 5, 2014 on 11:20 am

Thanks for the advice, Holly! I love the HSA Administrators offers some many Vanguard choices.

• Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life October 1, 2014 on 10:14 am

I love that investments are always working for you (most of the time), even when you’re day to day gets all out of whack.

• Kate Dore Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life October 5, 2014 on 11:21 am

It’s nice to receive a dividend payout even when the stock markets is down!

• Dividend Diplomats October 2, 2014 on 12:07 am

Cashville,

Nice job again on your networth update! I am all about having very little cash as possible but – how do you feel about it? Do you feel like you can pounce on an investment opportunity if it comes about?

Great to see even with the trackdown in the stock market that your net worth is still increasing.

You’re doing awesome and I know you’ll continue to keep at it! Talk soon.

-Lanny

• Kate Dore Dividend Diplomats October 5, 2014 on 11:22 am

I dropped my cash down significantly earlier this year. I think that when your assets reach a certain point, it’s just not necessary. I’ll definitely need more than $4.89 going forward, but I know that will change once I have more income coming in.

• The Net Worth of Personal Finance Bloggers November 29, 2014 on 2:23 pm