My First Net Worth Overshare

The first Cashville Skyline post was carefully written while freezing beneath a blanket on the afternoon of New Year’s Eve. It was hard to imagine where this blog would be in month, let alone a quarter. And here we are together, friends, experiencing my very first quarterly net worth overshare!

The choice to share (or not to share) these kinds of details in such a public forum, like a blog, is a deeply personal decision. And I felt apprehensive at first, although being included in Rockstar Finance’s Net Worths of Personal Finance Bloggers list has certainly helped me overcome my shyness quickly!

What does my net worth mean exactly?

Likely very little to anyone except me. It’s a constantly changing number, much like my age or weight, and some may argue it offers no real measurement of anything. Sharing my net worth publicly is merely an exercise in setting a goal and holding myself accountable.

SO, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, MY QUARTER ONE NET WORTH UPDATE, REVEALED:

Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 1.29.13 PM

Notes:

– I’ve dropped my cash significantly. Remember my post about decreasing my emergency fund? Well, I lowered that sucker even further.

– I made the maximum Roth IRA contribution ($5,500) within the first week of January. My index funds (VTSAX and VTIAX) earned $215.12 in dividends this quarter. Score!

– I’ve continued buying index funds and ETFs in my taxable account (holdings include VFIAX and VYM). VFIAX earned $46.63 in dividends this quarter.

– One of my second quarter goals is to start adding dividend producing growth stocks to my portfolio. I plan to continue purchasing securities through Vanguard. Thanks to Income Surfer and Our Cash House for the tips on discount stock brokers!

– I definitely don’t dig owing over $140K on my mortgage, but with a 3.25% fixed interest loan, I feel very little motivation to pay it down sooner. And it will be paid off in less than 13 years!

Readers: How has your net worth changed over the first quarter of 2014? What are your net worth goals for this upcoming quarter?

Diggin’ what you’ve read? Stay on top of my latest posts by following Cashville Skyline on Facebook, twitter, Google+, and Pinterest!

• Alicia March 31, 2014 on 1:05 pm

I do mine monthly, but in these first few months I’ve done well I think. Net Worth is up (well, less negative) almost $6k, with a few more big jumps in the works. I’m feeling good 🙂

Nice job on the dividends. I can’t wait to start earning that passive income!

• Addison Cash Alicia March 31, 2014 on 3:55 pm

$6K is great, Alicia! It sounds like you’re making amazing progress. I’m excited to start earning more passive income, as well!

• John @ Sprout Wealth March 31, 2014 on 2:30 pm

Nice work on the first quarter! We had a similarly good quarter with nearly having our Roth’s maxed and also working on both of our SEP’s as well. This next quarter looks like it’s going to shape up better than this one, which is always encouraging to see – especially when you run your own business. 🙂

• Addison Cash John @ Sprout Wealth March 31, 2014 on 3:55 pm

That’s awesome, John! I’m impressed that you’ve accomplished all that in Q1.

• Natalie @thefinancegirl.com March 31, 2014 on 2:43 pm

Thank you so much for sharing these details! I think transparency is so powerful. It keeps you honest and motivated. Also, I loved reading your different goals for the quarter, such as investing. It’s great to see a different way of doing things (investing versus saving an emergency fund). Thanks!

• Addison Cash Natalie @thefinancegirl.com March 31, 2014 on 4:10 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Natalie! It’s definitely motivating to know that other people are reading 🙂

• Michael@Save-Invest-Grow March 31, 2014 on 3:09 pm

Nice work this quarter! The first quarter usually lags for me because I have a bunch of bills come due (real estate taxes on my home and investment properties is probably the largest). I’m expect some larger gains this quarter.

• Addison Cash Michael@Save-Invest-Grow March 31, 2014 on 4:11 pm

Thanks, Michael! I’m having high hopes for the second quarter, as well 🙂

• Shannon @ Financially Blonde March 31, 2014 on 3:35 pm

I am a huge fan of making your cash work harder for you so I definitely applaud your strategy! And I always look at the mortgage payment in terms of cost benefit analysis. If you can earn more than 3.25% investing, then you are better off having your money there then paying down cheap debt.

• Addison Cash Shannon @ Financially Blonde March 31, 2014 on 4:12 pm

Agreed, Shannon. It may be right for some people who want to be completely debt free, but I’m okay with paying it off over the next 13 years.

• Addison Cash March 31, 2014 on 3:54 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! Fortunately, I have a fixed rate mortgage, so no worries on that front 🙂

• Brian @ Luke1428 March 31, 2014 on 4:11 pm

I always love seeing the debt number go down and hence the net worth line go up. I only check my twice per year so will do an evaluation in June. My hunch based on the direction of the markets and our continuing habit of saving/investing is that it will be higher than in December.

• Addison Cash Brian @ Luke1428 March 31, 2014 on 4:13 pm

That’s great, Brian! A twice a year net worth update is an interesting idea. You should see an impressive increase! 🙂

• Income Surfer March 31, 2014 on 6:00 pm

Great work Addison! I promise our networth didn’t rise nearly so much this quarter, but that’s ok. In fact at the moment I’m craving sleep over money…..our son was born last week.

I’m glad Mr.Cash and I could share about our discount brokerage experiences. There are a ton of companies out there, so everyone should be able to find one that fits their needs. I saw your house guesstimate declined this quarter. Isn’t it funny that Zillow adjusts prices so frequently in an illiquid market?! What’s up next, a minute by minute real estate ticker? :o)

• Addison Cash Income Surfer March 31, 2014 on 7:57 pm

Thanks, Bryan! Congratulations on the birth of your son. Yeah, I’m not sure I trust Zillow’s “guestimates.” Haha.

• Anneli @thefrugalweds March 31, 2014 on 6:56 pm

Go Addison!! Thank you for sharing 🙂
    It’s so encouraging to see how someone like you is prioritizing their finances and making great financial decisions. Kudos on the investments AND maxing out your Roth! One of the things were prioritizing this year is actually getting more of our disposable income into securities. For the time being, most of our investing is done through the index and etf’s. It’s time that we get more into educated stock picks for 2014!
    (And paying off your mortgage in 13-14 years is still a huge deal!) High fives!!

• Addison Cash Anneli @thefrugalweds March 31, 2014 on 7:58 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Anneli. That’s great that you want to learn more about stocks. We’ll can learn together 🙂

• laura / no more spending March 31, 2014 on 7:08 pm

Thanks for sharing! I post our numbers to keep myself accountable.

We’re reducing our cash emergency fund this month too – it’s a little scary, but hopefully it’ll make more money invested.

Well done on your increase 🙂

• Addison Cash laura / no more spending March 31, 2014 on 8:00 pm

Thanks for commenting, Laura! I just really didn’t need over $10K is cash sitting around. Felt like a wasted opportunity.

• Jon @ Money Smart Guides March 31, 2014 on 8:42 pm

I track my net worth monthly and I’ve seen some healthy gains for the year. As long as I get steady growth, that makes me happy. There are some months when my net worth is down, but that is usually due to the market down for the month by a decent amount as opposed to taking on more debt.

• Addison Cash Jon @ Money Smart Guides April 1, 2014 on 1:36 pm

That’s awesome, Jon! Steady growth is definitely an accomplishment.

• debT debS April 1, 2014 on 1:00 pm

Our net worth went up about 17K. I like this idea of doing a quarterly net worth recap. Good to build up a history on your blog. Thanks for the link to Rockstar Net Worth blog lists too!

• Addison Cash debT debS April 1, 2014 on 1:36 pm

Wow, I’m impressed! +$17K is fantastic!

• Ryan @ Impersonal Finance April 1, 2014 on 4:30 pm

Congrats Addison, those are some seriously awesome numbers! And major score on the dividends. Like you, that is my next goal. I just want to own a bunch of assets that produce money like clockwork.

• Addison Cash Ryan @ Impersonal Finance April 1, 2014 on 9:28 pm

Thanks, Ryan! I’ll look forward to hearing about your passive income 🙂

• Bridget April 1, 2014 on 5:56 pm

Nice gain!! My net worth change has been 0 in this first quarter of 2014.. but I’m really really happy with that because I’m a student so it’s kind of amazing haha

• Addison Cash Bridget April 1, 2014 on 9:29 pm

$0 is amazing for a student! I can’t believe you’ve managed to stay in the black. Kudos!

• J. Money April 1, 2014 on 8:19 pm

Cool, congrats man! You just moved up a cple slots on my Net Worth Tracker too 🙂 Glad you like it!

• Addison Cash J. Money April 1, 2014 on 10:27 pm

Yay! That list is really gonna keep me motivated 🙂

• Andrew@LivingRichCheaply April 2, 2014 on 3:19 pm

Thanks for sharing…I know most people don’t like to share the details of their personal finances as they think it’s very private, but sometimes it’s good to keep you accountable and motivated. I’ve been thinking about sharing…I dunno!

• Addison Cash Andrew@LivingRichCheaply April 3, 2014 on 2:29 am

Definitely a personal decision, but I enjoy sharing! I’m sure you’ll figure out what’s best for you.

• Jeff @Project Ikonz April 3, 2014 on 11:55 am

Well done overcoming your fear and fixing your shyness. Great things come from stepping out of comfort zones. How to retire a millionaire if your not willing to take risks. Calculated risks that is. What does Roth IRA mean?

• Addison Cash Jeff @Project Ikonz April 3, 2014 on 1:18 pm

Thanks, Jeff! A Roth IRA is a type of IRA that allows your money to grow tax-free. It’s funded with after tax dollars and the funds aren’t taxed when you withdraw in retirement.

• Erin @ My Alternate Life April 4, 2014 on 11:53 pm

That’s awesome growth! My net worth has increased by just over $7,800 in the first quarter. It went down A LOT in January (no e-fund, death of an overseas family member, one month off work and two last minute international plane tickets), but I just sold my car and now I’m back on track! Hopefully we both have a great 2nd quarter as well 🙂

• Addison Cash Erin @ My Alternate Life April 5, 2014 on 2:33 pm

Thanks, Erin! Great job! Definitely feels good to get back on track after an unexpectedly expensive month. I’m looking forward to reading about your progress! 🙂

• Top Ten List – What I Don’t Like About My Investments | debt debs April 5, 2014 on 4:57 pm

[…] Cashville Skyline – Quarter 1 Update: My First Net Worth Overshare – Addison acknowledges that sharing NW is personal and can be difficult but has decided to for the greater good. […]

• Mel @ brokeGIRLrich April 7, 2014 on 9:27 pm

Wow, I’m jealous! I wish I’d already maxed out my IRA for the year, but getting ahead quickly with my finances is not something that’s likely to happen while living in NYC. Sigh.

• Addison Cash Mel @ brokeGIRLrich April 9, 2014 on 9:30 pm

It was easy to do once I realized I needed to drop my cash down. I had previously been holding on to over $10,000 in a high interest savings account. Ouch.

• Mr. Utopia @ Personal Finance Utopia April 8, 2014 on 4:01 pm

You’re almost to six figures of net worth! So close!

• Addison Cash Mr. Utopia @ Personal Finance Utopia April 9, 2014 on 9:22 pm

It’ll definitely feel amazing when I finally get there! 🙂

• Long Term Brian April 28, 2014 on 12:50 am

Cudo’s for sharing your NW report with the world! I’m to chicken to do the same…

Great job nailing the bottom of the market on interest rate on your place! I agree that it makes little sense to pay it off early when you got the rate so low. Factor out the tax savings, and the rate is below the inflation rate.

• Addison Cash Long Term Brian April 28, 2014 on 7:46 pm

I was definitely nervous at first, but it feel strangely liberating now! Yeah, pretty stoked about the interest rate on the mortgage. Thanks for the encouragement.

• June Budget with May recap Olsen Monthly Budget 2014 | Derek and Carrie June 6, 2014 on 6:43 pm

[…] Cashville Skyline @ $91,228 […]

• Quarter Two: My Second Net Worth Overshare | Cashville Skyline Quarter Two: My Second Net Worth Overshare | June 27, 2014 on 1:38 pm

[…] made a ton of progress since my first net worth overshare. Part of that can be attributed to discipline, but most of my growth is due to my neighborhood […]

• Chatter Around the World – 38 - Roadmap2Retire August 29, 2014 on 6:32 pm

[…] Cashville Skyline […]

• Holding Myself Accountable: The March Review - Cashville Skyline Cashville Skyline Holding Myself Accountable: The March Review - Cashville Skyline | April 11, 2015 on 4:10 pm

[…] y’all catch My First Net Worth Overshare from last week? I’ve made some respectable progress on that front. I’ll continue […]

• When Your Parents' Finances Become Your Business - Cashville Skyline Cashville Skyline When Your Parents' Finances Become Your Business - Cashville Skyline | April 11, 2015 on 4:40 pm

[…] wasn’t always so comfortable candidly sharing a detailed report of my quarterly net worth with the world, so I can certainly understand my parents’ hesitancy in openly revealing a […]